Five Tips to Birth Control Savings
Most women will say they are not ready for a baby due to today's economy. Some of these women pinch pennies to pay for their birth control each month but the same women will also say it is worth the costs. Some brands, such as Ortho Tri-Cyclen, may cost up to $50 per month. We're here to tell you that there are ways to save money on your contraceptives.
- Generics - Whether it's birth control or any other prescription medication, you always start by asking for the generic version. Generic drugs are much cheaper than their brand-name equivalent, and they have the same rate of efficiency. The generic contraceptive is the same as a brand-name contraceptive in dosage, safety, strength, quality, the way it works, the way it is taken and the way it should be used. FDA requires generic drugs have the same high quality, strength, purity and stability as brand-name drugs.
- Communicate with your doctor - Be sure to inform your doctor about your financial situation. Not only can she prescribe you a generic contraceptive she can also talk to you about other cost-effective methods. You doctor may have free samples or manufacturer coupons available.
- Do you qualify for subsidized birth control? - Your county health department or a family planning clinic like Planned Parenthood may offer reduced-rate birth control for financially pressed women.
- Long Term Methods - While an IUD is expensive at first, it is actually one of the most cost effective birth control methods. It's a long-term birth control method that can last up to ten years. The average IUD costs about $300 or $400. However, if you spend about $15 a month on birth control, you'll be saving after the third year.
- Prescription Discount Cards - A prescription discount card, such as Birth Control Card, provides discounts on almost all prescriptions. Unfortunately, prescription discount cards cannot be used in conjunction with Insurance. You can get your free prescription discount card from www.birthcontrolcard.com. There are no eligibility requirements or fees. Every woman can benefit from this card because you can use it on more prescriptions than birth control. Save up to 75% on your contraceptives by printing your card and bringing to your pharmacy. It's that simple.